EYRIE PRESS IS CURRENTLY OPEN TO SUBMISSIONS
What are we looking for?
You can send your work straight to us – no need to go through an agent.
We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if you wish to withdraw your submission at a later date. We will consider books that have been previously self-published.
We publish fiction for adults and young adults in:
- Historical fiction
- Contemporary fiction
- Speculative fiction – fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian fiction, steampunk and so on
As a social enterprise we’re especially keen to see books which feature individuals or communities that tend to be underrepresented in fiction. However, we’re not interested in tokenism – we want genuine diversity please! We have a particular soft spot for stories featuring characters involved in alternative education, especially home education.
Don’t worry if your book doesn’t fit that mould though – and certainly don’t try to force it to (that’d be tokenism!). Our first question is, ‘Is this a great read?’ We are looking for character-driven books that are well written, with a strong plot, an entertaining narrative, and a strong sense of place and time.
We’re particularly keen to support writers from East Anglia. We define that as Cambridgeshire (including Peterborough), Norfolk and Suffolk, with Lincolnshire thrown in for good measure since we’re located near to the Cambs/Lincs border!
Your word count should not exceed 120,000 words.
We’re also really interested in non-fiction, such as memoirs, books aimed at niche hobbyists, knowledge sharing, or advice-and-inspiration type books.
You’ll need to be very knowledgeable about your subject and able to write about it in an entertaining way, and you’ll need to demonstrate that there is an audience for your book.
We’re not looking for children’s books at this time, but please check back at a later date as we may accept them in the future.
If you would like to submit a book for our consideration, please follow the guidelines below.
Before you submit
Before you send your manuscript, please consider the following:
- Have you self-edited your work as much as you can? Have you had it read and critiqued by someone else? A first draft is probably not ready to be submitted.
- Are you willing to work with us? All books go through an editing process and you may have to make changes to your book. We won’t dictate to you, not will we try to change your ‘voice’ – it is your book after all – but we will expect you to be open-minded and work as part of a team to make your book the best it can be.
- How can you help reach your audience? Should we publish your book, whilst we will work hard to publicise it, it’s important that you are prepared to put in the effort too. This can be in many ways – social media, blogs, interviews, public appearances and so on – and not just at publication time but on an ongoing basis.
How to submit
We accept submissions by email only to submissions @ eyriepress.co.uk (don’t forget to delete the spaces!). Please read ALL the guidelines below before submitting.
In the main body of your email, please give a short introduction to yourself.
Don’t forget to mention if you’re from East Anglia (as defined above), or if your book features an underrepresented community (please explain). However, don’t worry if neither applies – that doesn’t preclude you from submitting
- Mention any previous publishing experience (including self-publishing)
- Link to your social media and/or website
- Describe any other ways in which you could help reach your audience
Then attach your manuscript – what you need to send us depends on the type of book you are submitting – read below for details
- Attach the first three chapters as a Word document (just standard pages – don’t lay it out as a book or include a cover)
- Also attach a full synopsis of your book, including the word count
If we are interested we will ask to read the complete manuscript.
- Attach any three chapters as a Word document
- Also attach a summary of the entire book, including a full chapter list
- Tell us how you have the qualifications/knowledge/experience to write on your subject
- Explain to us who the intended audience is and what steps you have gone to to establish that there is a need for your book
If we are interested we will ask to read the complete manuscript
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING CHILDREN’S BOOKS AT THIS TIME
- Please send the entire manuscript WITHOUT illustrations. If you’re also an illustrator and would like to illustrate the book yourself, or if you have an illustrator you’d like to work with, please contact us to discuss.
We try to consider submissions as quickly as possible but we are a very small company and your patience is appreciated. If two months have passed without feedback from us, please feel free to enquire by email as to the progression of your submission.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!