EYRIE PRESS IS CURRENTLY OPEN TO SUBMISSIONS
We welcome submissions of novels and novellas, and of non-fiction books.
We do not accept poetry or plays, and we are not currently seeking children’s books.
We publish fiction for adults and young adults in the following genres:
- Historical fiction
- Contemporary fiction
- Speculative fiction – fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian fiction, steampunk and so on
As a social enterprise we’re especially keen to publish:
- Books by or featuring individuals or communities that tend to be underrepresented in fiction.
- Books by writers from East Anglia. We define that as Cambridgeshire (including Peterborough), Norfolk and Suffolk, with Lincolnshire thrown in for good measure since we’re located near to the Cambs/Lincs border!
We’re not interested in tokenism. The diversity in your writing should be genuine. We have a particular soft spot for stories featuring characters involved in alternative education, especially home education.
Above all, we all want a great read. We are looking for character-driven books that are well written, with a well-crafted plot, an entertaining narrative, and a strong sense of place and time.
Your word count should be appropriate for your genre, but it should not exceed 120,000 words.
We’re also really interested in non-fiction, such as memoirs, books aimed at niche hobbyists, or advice-and-inspiration type books.
You’ll need to be very knowledgeable about your subject and able to write about it in an entertaining way, and you’ll need to demonstrate that there is an audience for your book.
HOW TO SUBMIT
You can send your work straight to us – no need to go through an agent.
We do accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if you wish to withdraw your submission at a later date. We will consider books that have been previously self-published.
If you would like to submit a manuscript for our consideration, please follow the guidelines below.
Before you submit
Before you send your manuscript, please consider the following:
- Have you self-edited your work as much as you can? Have you had it read and critiqued by someone else? A first draft is probably not ready to be submitted.
- Are you willing to work with us? All books go through an editing process and you may have to make changes to your book. We won’t dictate to you, not will we try to change your ‘voice’ – it is your book after all – but we will expect you to be open-minded and work as part of a team to make your book the best it can be.
- How can you help reach your audience? Should we publish your book, whilst we will work hard to publicise it, it’s important that you are prepared to put in the effort too. This can be in many ways – social media, blogs, interviews, public appearances and so on – and not just at publication time but on an ongoing basis.
How to submit
We accept submissions by email only to submissions @ eyriepress.co.uk (don’t forget to delete the spaces!). Please read ALL the guidelines below before submitting.
In the main body of your email, please give a short introduction to yourself.
Don’t forget to mention if you’re from East Anglia (as defined above), or if your book features an underrepresented community (please explain). However, don’t worry if neither applies – that doesn’t preclude you from submitting.
- Mention any previous publishing experience (including self-publishing)
- Link to your social media and/or website
- Describe any other ways in which you could help reach your audience
Then attach your manuscript – what you need to send us depends on the type of book you are submitting – read below for details.
- Attach the first three chapters as a Word document (just standard pages – don’t lay it out as a book or include a cover)
- Also attach a full synopsis of your book, including the word count
- Attach any three chapters as a Word document
- Also attach a summary of the entire book, including a full chapter list
- Tell us how you have the qualifications/knowledge/experience to write on your subject
- Explain to us who the intended audience is and what steps you have taken to establish that there is a need for your book
If we are interested we will ask to read the complete manuscript.
We try to consider submissions as quickly as possible but we are a very small company and your patience is appreciated. If two months have passed without feedback from us, please feel free to enquire by email as to the progression of your submission.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!