Before you submit
Before you send your manuscript, please consider the following:
- Have you finished it? Don’t send your manuscript out and then make changes. if you’re still writing it, it’s not ready.
- Have you self-edited your work as much as you can? Have you had it read and critiqued by someone else? A first draft is probably not ready to be submitted.
- Are you willing to work with us? All books go through an editing process and you may have to make changes to your book. We won’t dictate to you, nor will we try to change your ‘voice’ – it is your book after all – but we will expect you to be open-minded and work as part of a team to make your book the best it can be.
- How can you help reach your audience? While we work hard to publicise every book we publish, it’s important that you are prepared to put in the effort too, not just in the run-up to publication but on an ongoing basis. This can be in many ways – social media, blogs, interviews, public appearances and so on – and it’s a good idea to start creating your community and building your following now, before you submit. If you’re not sure how to do this, search the internet – there is plenty of advice out there. You could start by signing up for the free newsletter from The Empowered Author.
- Have you written a synopsis? Not sure how to write one? There’s lots of advice online, such as How to Write a Novel Synopsis.
How to prepare your manuscript
- Send your manuscript as a Word document.
- On the front page, include the title, your name and the word count.
- Set pages at A4 size and number them.
- Use a standard font such as Times New Roman, Ariel etc. Nothing fancy!
- If you indent your paragraphs, do so by using Word Styles. Do not use tabs or multiple spaces. If you don’t know how to use Styles, don’t worry about indenting paragraphs – just leave an extra line between each paragraph.
- Do not attempt to format your manuscript as a book.
- Do not include cover art.
Write your email
- In the main body of your email, please give a short introduction to yourself.
- Tell us if you’re from our region (as defined on our About page and the Submissions page).
- Tell us if your book features an underrepresented community (please explain how).
- However, don’t worry if neither applies – that doesn’t preclude you from submitting.
- Mention any previous publishing experience (including self-publishing)
- Link to your social media and/or website.
- Describe any other ways in which you could help reach your audience.
Send your email
- We accept submissions by email only to submissions @ eyriepress.co.uk (don’t forget to delete the spaces!).
- Attach your manuscript – the full version.
- Attach a full synopsis of your book.
We try to consider submissions as quickly as possible but we are a very small company and your patience is appreciated. If two months have passed without feedback from us, please feel free to enquire by email as to the progression of your submission.